Friday 18 December 2015

Debug mode

I had been writing my term paper, but now it's over, and I can get back to my favourite activities :)
But this post will be about how I love debug (or ghost) modes in the games of my childhood. More precisely, in Harry Potter games (although there are more, and in some of them I managed to find other ways to achieve the same goal).
What I mean by ghost mode is a mode, to which you can switch using cheats/changing a game file. It allows you to go through the walls and go practically anywhere. Why would I need it? Well, I prefer playing games without using cheats, but in case you're stuck somewhere because of a glitch, that could be very useful. I've played my old favourite games so many times that I know them inside out, and when you've nothing else to do there, you start fooling around...
So, since I played those as a child, I dreamed to explore rooms that you see in the cutscenes but do not have access to, and things like that. Of course, there's nothing too special there, just empty rooms made only for decoration, maybe with some weird textures, and most doors don't even lead anywhere. But my dreams came true.
There were more interesting things to see, too, like "wax museum" (a room where characters are put when they're not needed and where they go when they disappear), and I learnt how they make the background (somewhere in space there is a cube which has the background pictures on its inner sides, and the level itself is in the center of this cube, so you see everything that's around). In HP2 you can also change the view (as other characters see it) and change Harry's mesh to other characters' ones, although you can't use magic then, that's a shame... oh, and also you can switch to sword mode and destroy things... or have fun with Slytherins in their common room running after you and you always getting away xD

No comments:

Post a Comment